Saturday, July 2, 2011

Accomplishing Goals (Part 9 of 9)


Enter the great time for accomplishing goals in the summer of 1980. I did this at the same table in my room where I also did my scripture study. I often played music on my stereo as I did this transcribing. I spent many late nights making sure I stayed on schedule to finish the Joseph Smith Oratorio. As I finished it in mid August, I knew it wasn’t going to be performed at that time, but I was very pleased. In all it had 56 legal sized pages of music. I went to a copy center and had two copies made of it. I kept the original for myself, I gave one to my girlfriend at that time, and I gave the other to my parents. I left it in their room one day. Dad later came and commented on it. “We were sure impressed, Billy. Thank you.” I told him about the Joseph Smith Oratorio’s creation, but I was very careful not to take any credit for it. In the few months that remained before I went on my mission, my parents played it on the piano and I played through it as well.
At the end of the summer I knew the time for going on a mission was drawing very near. Soon I would be leaving my family. I had been able to spend more time with them, too. But it was tremendously satisfying to have so many goals and be able to work on them, and achieving them.

Coming Tomorrow: I Hope They Call Me On A Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment