Friday, July 8, 2011

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission (Part 6 of 12)


The next day was Sunday, and my missionary farewell. The opening song was “Scatter Sunshine!” My Mom and Dad spoke. Christopher, who was eight years old, sang the same song I had sung when I was eight. “I might be envied by a king, for I am a Mormon Boy!” My brothers and sisters sang, “Our Heaven Is Our Home.” Then I spoke. I drew an analogy from my ninth grade science fair project. “Technology is such that we can now take a beam of light and combine it with sound waves and pass that over a long distance. That is how Heavenly Father communicates with us. Pure light emanates from the Holy Ghost and this is coupled with the knowledge that the Lord has for us. This is then transmitted to us and we feel peace, calmness, tranquility, pure knowledge entering into our whole soul, or a burning in the bosom.” The ward choir also sang, and I sang with it for the last time. After the meeting was over people came up to me to wish me well. We had an open house at my house with lots of cookies. After several hours of that and as the party began to die down, I sat on the couch, exhausted. And I feel asleep.

Picture: My ninth grade science fair project -- light wave communication

No comments:

Post a Comment