Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission (Part 4 of 12)



Everything went very quickly after that. I went down town on the bus and went to Deseret Book. I bought a tourists guide to learning Portuguese, a Portuguese Book of Mormon, and a wall map of Brazil. I bumped into my friend from high school, Laraine while downtown and told her the news.
A few day later my parents and I went on a huge shopping spree for me. We bought suits, extra dress pants, ten white shirts, an overcoat, ties, socks, and an umbrella. We bought luggage and shoes. The sales man told me they were called Forward Thrust the same kind of shoes a mailman would wear.
I decided to ask a young lady in our ward to the Cottonwood High School homecoming dance. Her name was Darlyn Webb, and she had just been called on a mission herself. To ask her I copied the music of a primary song right out of the primary book. But I re-wrote the words. I presented her with a sheet of music that said:

They’ve already called me on a mission.
But first, I must prepare to go.
For two whole years I’ll be at arms-length.
So I’d like to go to the homecoming dance with you.

Darlyn had graduated a few years before me, she was the daughter of a former bishop of mine, and she had a prestigious job working at the Lion House downtown. I was very awed by the fact that she even consented to go with me. And we had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment