Sunday, July 3, 2011

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission (Part 1 of 12)


I hope they call me on a mission
When I have grown a foot or two
I hope by then I will be ready
To teach and preach and work as missionaries do


I always wanted to go on a mission. And as I was growing up I always wanted to go where my Dad had gone on his mission in the 1950s – Denmark. When my Dad was growing up, he idolized his bishop’s son, Kay Brown. Kay was a little older than Dad and he went on a mission to Germany. Then Dad followed him into the mission field when he went to Denmark. At the end of Kay Brown’s mission, his family went to pick him up. Their airplane landed in Denmark and Dad was able to visit with them. Kay Brown married. Dad married. Years went by. Then one Sunday in the late 1970s, when Dad was in the bishopric, he was attending Junior Sunday School and he heard the children sing a song, I Hope They Call Me On A Mission. He made a point of looking at the music for that song. To his joy he saw that the words and music were by Newel K. Brown.

(Note: The picture is of Dad in Denmark.)

No comments:

Post a Comment