Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sunday Night Popcorn (Part 2 of 4)


I was in my pajamas and ready for bed (except for brushing my teeth, of course) and I galloped up the basement stairs two or three at a time to get to the kitchen where the smell of recently popped corn hit me with full force. My two oldest sisters, Vera and Karen, were already helping. They were old enough to know how to run the corn popper without getting burned. Mom switched her attention to making something to drink. Of course or favorite was hot Ovaltine. Occasionally we drank hot chocolate, but usually it was Ovaltine. I guess Mom figured that was better for us. First she'd pour about a gallon of milk in a big pot on the stove. She started heating it up and then she would dump in a sufficient quantity of Ovaltine to make it nice and chocolaty.
That's interesting stuff, Ovaltine. It has undergone many changes over the years. When I was very little it used to be made up of hard, little crystals. You really had to stir the Ovaltine fast to get it to dissolve in milk. It was fun to eat just plain, too. Many times I used to sneak up to the cupboard and snitch a spoonful or two of the rich chocolaty tasting crystals. (You can't blame me for that addiction, Dad used to give me whole spoonfuls of Ovaltine when I was a baby!)

No comments:

Post a Comment