Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sunday Night Popcorn (Part 3 of 4)


Then one year in the 1970s, the Ovaltine Company decided to change their formula. It was no fun to eat straight from the jar anymore, and when you mixed it with milk it left a sediment at the bottom of your glass. It was almost like drinking sand!
This prompted Karen to write a letter to the good folks at Ovaltine. I quote from her letter: "Ovaltine used to be so good. Now it tastes terrible. I won't describe it to you because you might loose your lunch."
A nice man at Ovaltine wrote back to Karen and gave her a bunch of information about market research and how they wanted to make it more instant.
The new Ovaltine was actually pretty good when it was hot. So back to our story. When the Ovaltine was hot, Mom poured it carefully into a large pitcher and placed it on the table. By this time, we had made several batches of popcorn and poured them into a very large Tuperware container which was full of warm popcorn. Also, everyone in the family was gathered around this container to snack until we could officially start eating after, the blessing.
Someone had already set the table. When I say 'set' the table, I don't refer to a full place setting for each person. Sunday night meals usually consisted of a mug and a napkin as utensils. That's all. That's all we needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment