Monday, December 6, 2010

If I Drop The Soap It Will Be A Good Day (Part 2 of 4)


Over the summer, though, I started running, both on my own and with my sister, Vera. Since I was all sweaty after running and working out, I needed to take lots of showers. I got better at holding onto the soap, but due to its slippery nature, I often dropped it anyway. The sickening thud soon became an expected reality of life. I still tried not to let it bother me. I also took a summer sports workshop with Vera and it was amazing, I started to change from a klutz in sports to a person with athletic prowess. Of course I showered every day after this two-hour sports clinic and this gave me even greater confidence.
Just before I entered ninth grade, Mom figured out how to cut my hair so I could part my hair in the middle and feather my bangs. This was the rage of mid-1970s hairstyles. This hair style required that I wash my hair every day, dry it, and then feather the bangs and apply gobs of hair spray to keep the bangs feathered all day.
Ninth grade turned out to be the best school year I had so far. It started off with me being on the Seminary Council, the Mixed Chorus, and the Cross County Team. Suddenly I wasn't a geek anymore. I was a popular hunk! And I made a startling discovery. If I dropped the soap in the shower in the morning, somehow, the day was even better for me! Yes, that was my proven scientific fact! Through some weird cosmic omen, dropping the soap signaled to all the forces at work in my life at that time, that they should create a good daily experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment