Saturday, January 22, 2011

“Santa, I Want A Kiss From My Girlfriend” (Part 6 of 9)


But the very best one was when I asked a girl named Melanie to the Junior Prom my senior year of high school. I had first asked Melanie out in January of 1979. She looked at me with wide eyes and said, “Are you serious?” And then she told me she wasn’t sixteen yet. Well I didn’t know that. But we set a date for the day after she turned sixteen which was July 28th. By that time, I was madly in love with her, but even more important, we had been friends for a long time before that. She almost made me want to break my own rule about not going steady until after my mission. She knew about that rule and to get around that I dated other girls. She even helped by saying that I had to take another girl out before I went out with her again. There were times in our relationship when things were a bit rocky. Once she came over to my house and brought me a cookie and made me feel better. Another time she gave me a plaque that said, “Bill, remember, I will always be your friend no matter what happens.” There were times in our relationship when things went very well. One I was walking her home from school and we were just leaving the school building when a man approached us and said, “Both of you make such a clean-looking couple. It is refreshing to see the appropriate way that you treat each other. Thank you.” Another time we stood at night on the banks of the Great Salt Lake and looked out over the placid waters which seemed to go on forever. It was like we were looking into eternity together. We shared a tender embrace and then we drove home. I became good friends with her family. Once her little brother made me a cup of hot chocolate. He waited patiently as I drank it slowly. Finally I tilted the cup back far enough that I was surprised to see a great big porcelain cock roach attached to the inside of the cup. Melanie’s little brother was busting up with laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment