
The dance itself was sort of anti-climactic. I had anticipated it for so long. Plus, by the time the dance arrived, Melanie just about couldn’t stand me. It seemed she was always going to the ladies room to powder her nose. When I got home that evening Mom asked me, “Did you have a good time?”
“Yes, I guess,” I said glumly.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, I told you I did,” I was almost irritated, that she’d ask it again.
“You don’t sound like you did.”
“I had a wonderful time! Now let’s just leave it at that, okay!”
“Well, your voice doesn’t indicate that.”
“Maybe I’m just very tired. Good night.”
The truth is I had a terrible time. Melanie and I didn’t hardly speak for the last month of school. The day after I graduated from high school, she came to my work and apologized to me for being so rude. A month or so after than we made up completely. We dated a little for the rest of the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment