Sunday, January 23, 2011

“Santa, I Want A Kiss From My Girlfriend” (Part 7 of 9)


It seemed that someone had beaten me to it when I asked Melanie to a formal dance. Well I wasn’t to be beaten by the time the Jr. Prom came. I asked her three months before the dance. And I was preparing several months before that. I called my preparations the Junior Prom Project. The actual asking her took one month. Every day I did something different. Some things were simple, others were major projects in and of themselves. One was a little book called, An LDS Young Man’s Reflection about Melanie. Another was a Formal Dance Survival Guide, which included such wisdom as how to eat dinner and thoughts on bear hugging as a opposed to a more conservative style of slow dancing. Each day, she knew who was asking her, but I didn’t officially ask her until the last day, which was two months away from the day of the dance. I then waited for her answer. I waited nearly a month. She answered by tying a huge multi-colored banner between the two trees in my front yard and by toilet papering the house. The banner said, “Bill, I’d Love to!” The next day I took it down and I hung the banner down the center of my room. It was up for months after the dance itself.
On April 25th I picked Melanie up and took her to several drive-in restaurants for a progressive dinner. We had shakes, hamburgers, fries, ice cream, and after-dinner mints all from different places. I even made a special item out of wood to hold our shakes. I painted our names on it and the day and date. I still have that in my attic, over twenty years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment