
The next morning we made a stop at the Boise Zoo and then we were off to LeGrand, Oregon which was the sight of our next concert and dance. Among the pieces of music we played were Finlandia, Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony, Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto Number Three, and a medley of Disney songs, only to name a few. Each night the concert was recorded and the best ones were combined into a tape that we were able to keep. (It was while listening to that tape a few years later that an aquaintance of mine, Rhonda Noveroske, decided that I wasn’t such a bad guy after all.)
It was at the dance that second night that I began my first “tour romance.” I met a violin player, and though I had only been to every rehearsal with her for the past three weeks, I had never really noticed her. We hit it off really quickly and we danced a few dances and then mostly talked. As was usually the case, I was instantly infatuated with any girl who showed the slightest signs of liking me. For the next few days I was with that girl almost every time I had a chance to be with her. However we never progressed to the point of actually sitting by each other on the bus. We were in different busses anyway. I guess if a tour romance really got serious, the couple could have appealed to Mr. Chatelin, our director, or to Dr. Worthen, to let them be assigned to the same bus. My tour romance broke up with me a few days later when she sent unspoken signals to me that she was tired of me always hanging around her. I did date her once, though, later in the next school year.
Just before the dance at that Oregon stake center, the mother of our host family came up to me and said, “We are going home now. We have a van in the parking lot on the west side. You can just drive that home to our house and let yourselves in.” Then she handed me the car keys! What trust!
No comments:
Post a Comment