Monday, May 9, 2011

Music In High School (Part 5 of 6)


In my orchestra class my senior year, we practiced the music for the musical, Guys And Dolls. Even though I wouldn’t be playing it, because I was in the chorus on stage, I learned it. Mr. Frohm asked a ninth grade string bass player to fill the void in the actual performances. However, I really wanted to be a part of the orchestra. And I figured out how to do it. There is a part of the show where the action moved to Havana, Cuba. There was a long stretch of time when the mission group, my part, was not on stage. On one of the nights of the actual performance, I went down below the stage, had my black suit hanging there, changed into it, entered through the door to the orchestra pit, picked up a string bass which was right by the door, and began playing. Mr. Frohm looked up and was very surprised to see me there. But a smile on his face showed that he also thought it was funny. So I had the distinction of playing in the orchestra and acting and singing on the stage in the same production. On the last night we had a party at the home of one of the leads in the musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment