Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Granite Youth World Tour 1979 (Part 8 of 12)


The next day we were in Calgary, Alberta. It was a Saturday night and we played our concert and had our dance. The family we stayed with had a big basement which they let eight of us stay in. Like most teenaged guys, we stayed up late and watched Saturday Night Live. Then an ad for pizza came on the television. Jeff Archuletta (Yes, he became the father of David Archuletta) was suddenly excited about ordering a pizza. He memorized the number and called. They said they’d send it right over if we’d just give our address. None of us had any idea what the address was. Suddenly Jeff was up the stairs and knocking on the parents’ bedroom door.
He had to wake them up first with his pounding.
“Do you have any idea what time it is?”
The rest of us were downstairs and wondering if we’d be sleeping in the street that night.
“I just need to know your address.”
“Why/”
“So we can order a pizza to be delivered.”
Long pause.
Soon Jeff bounded down the stairs and told the pizza guy where to come. In twenty minutes a rap came at the door, probably waking up the family, again. But the pizza was good, and Jeff had ordered Sprite as well.
The next day was Sunday, July First. Dominion Day. The equivalent of the Fourth-of-July for Canada. After our late night pizza party we all started fasting because it was also Fast Sunday. Once again we swelled the numbers for the ward we attended that day. I got up to bear my testimony. With the usual non-tact of a naive teenager, I said. “Hi I’m one of the youth symphony people. I have enjoyed my stay in Canada. I think it’s a neat country. I like to think of Canada as just some additional United States to the north.” Wrong thing to say! When the counselor in the bishopric got up to conclude the meeting he used humor to diffuse any hurt feelings I might have caused. He said, “I too, like to think of the united states as some additional Canadian Provinces to the south of us!”

No comments:

Post a Comment