Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Brother Johnny (Part 2 of 7)


On that same day, in the spring of 1978 Johnny also fell down the basement stairs. Then that evening I and my Dad were going to take back a big pan to my Grandmother. I had barely gotten my driver license so Dad let me drive. I was backing out the driveway. The headlights shined onto the carport. Suddenly, as I was backing out, what appeared to be a big doll dressed in a red bedtime sleeper fell out the bedroom window of Christopher and Johnny’s room. It bounced on the hard cement floor of the carport. As I looked blinking at the doll, I realized to my honor it was no doll. It was my brother Johnny!
"Oh no!" I put the van back in park, opened the door, and jumped out of the van. Dad hadn't seen the fall and wondered what had happened to startle me so much. Then after I ran to Johnny’s side he could see what had happened. The window screen had also come out and was laying a few feet away from Johnny.
Johnny had been up on the top of the bunk bed when he heard the van start up. He wanted to see us drive away so he looked out the open window. The screen was in place and he couldn't get a good view. He pressed against it. It was barely held in place by some metal prongs. These soon gave way to Johnny's two-year-old weight. And Johnny fell onto the hard cement below.
As soon as I reached him, I wanted to pick him up from off the pavement, but I realized he might be seriously hurt so I didn't want to make things worse. Then Dad reached me and he agreed we shouldn't pick him up just yet. By this time Mom realized there was some commotion going on outside so she came running. She checked him over and then we picked him up. Dad had gotten our neighbor, Earl Gubler to come over and help give Johnny a blessing. After the Priesthood blessing we took him to the emergency room of the hospital which was just a few miles away. Dad and I waited in the emergency room waiting room while Mom was with him in the examination room. She came out a while later and updated us on Johnny's condition. "Nurelogically he's okay," she said. But he's temporarily paralyzed on one side due to the fall and he has a sprained wrist, plus he's developing a black eye. But we are pretty lucky, the doctor said that such a fall could have killed him."

No comments:

Post a Comment