Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Get A Real Job (Part 2 of 7)


My Dad suggested I call our home teacher, Jack Robinson, who was the manager of a grocery store. Jack had been a marvelous scout leader to me and countless other boys, and still was. And we all knew about “Jack’s Store” as we called it. Every time we had a camp or an outing we always bought the food from Jack’s Store. I drove the three miles to his store. It was called Country Farm Save More. Sometimes they spelled it SAV MOR. Jack said to me that they weren’t hiring right then, but he’d take my application. I filled one out. I explained my situation and how because of my commitments to Granite Youth that summer I couldn’t get a “Real” job. I cringe, now, every time I think of that. I’m sure Jack was saying to himself, “Of course this is a “real” job. It’s very real to me every day.” Jack took my application and wrote on the top in big letters, CANNOT WORK SUNDAYS! I sure appreciated that.
Then my seminary teacher from a few years back called me and asked me to help him gut out an old grocery store in the avenues. Two summers before I had helped him build a peaked roof on our house. I had personally lifted every 3/4th inch sheet of plywood up to the roof. So I guess Brother Steele wanted me to help him again. He’d pick me up after my Granite Youth practice and we’d go up to work. We worked until very late when we were done, only stopping for a short while to eat our sack lunches under a shady tree. After we were done with that project, we built up two chimneys for people who were later going to get peaked roofs. Even now, when I drive by those homes, I point out with pride to my children that I helped build those chimneys.

No comments:

Post a Comment