Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Brother Christopher (Part 8 of 9)


We have a cousin named Davy who was born about the same time as Christopher. Once Mom took Christopher to the same Church building for Relief Society as Davy’s family went to. As Christopher entered the nursery room, Davy’s eyes brightened and he said, “Fur-fur!” Davy’s Dad has called Christopher by that name ever since. One Sunday I was assigned to give a talk in Church about how I was preparing to go on a mission. One of the ways I brought out was financial preparation. I didn’t know how to show my bank savings account so I got Christopher to help me. I was at the microphone up at the pulpit. Part-way through my talk I said, “I’d like my brother, Christopher to come up here for a minute.” My family was on the second row of the chapel and Christopher knew that was his cue. He quickly moved through the others seated by him. Just before he got to the end of the bench, one of my sisters handed him a large Planters Peanuts bottle, with the label taken off and a homemade paper label glued on. The few coins in it jingled as he bounced along. With pride he carried the bottle up to the stand. He climbed the stairs up to the stand and came up to where I was standing at the pulpit. I picked him up and asked hin, “What is this bottle for?”
“Mission,” Christopher said into the microphone with as much seriousness as he could muster.
“What are you putting in here, Christopher?” I said.
“Money,” Christopher said.
“What is this bank for?” I asked.
“Mission,” Christopher said again. Then I put him down and he bounced back down the stairs and back to the family bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment