
Our next concert was in the State of Washington, near the coast. I was amazed at how wooded and green everything was. We also stayed over the next night since it was Sunday and we didn’t travel on Sunday. We all went to Church that day. There were only one or two people who weren’t LDS, so Granite Youth payed for them to take a taxi to their churches. The ward we went to didn’t have any young men so we all attended the Seventies Quorum for Priesthood meeting. After Church, back at the host family’s home the father handed me several wooden pieces of a puzzle. He said, “Put it together into a perfect cube.” I fumbled with it for a few seconds and was about to hand it back to him saying, “I’m not very good at these things and I really don’t have the patience for them anyway.” Then, purely by coincidence, the puzzle fell into place and I was holding a perfect cube. I was utterly shocked. The man looked at me like I was some sort of puzzle guru. “How did you do that?” he said with great surprise and shock in his voice. “We’ve never been able to put that together!” That night, the family gathered to watch the movie, The Ten Commandments on television. Beforehand, they had taken the time with their little children to read the Bible and become familiar with the story before watching the movie.
The next day was Monday and we were back on our way. We rested for lunch and pulled up to a Dairy Queen. We were to use our own spending money to buy lunch. I proved that I could be trusted in situations like this and bought a huge strawberry Sundae for lunch, and an ice cream cone for dessert, followed up by a caramel sundae for good measure. That night we played a concert near Seattle. Since one of our songs was Finlandia, Mr. Chatelin commented that it was written about a country which was green and had lots of trees just like the State of Washington. It was a statement that only a person from dry, yellow Utah would make. The next morning we ate breakfast with the family who had put Gil and I up for the night. It was a rather rural area even though it was close to Seattle. We had fried eggs. The father complained grumpily, “From the look of these eggs I’d say our boys aren’t feeding the chickens like they’ve said they have been.” The eggs looked fine to me. But I was impressed that I was eating eggs that had recently been laid by a chicken and not purchased at a store. Later in the day we had a chance to see Downtown Seattle and the Space Needle. We also saw our second zoo of the tour. There was one building where animals walked in and out with the people. There was also a big tree with some of the roots that had grown up above the ground. These were nice to sit on after one was tired of walking around. The tall buildings of downtown Seattle looked on as we sat there and relaxed.
No comments:
Post a Comment