Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Get A Real Job (Part 3 of 7)


And then it was time to go on the tour to Canada with the Granite Youth Symphony. When Vera and I returned from that we immediately went with some of our new friends to see a movie. We returned home late that night. Mom and Dad told me that Jack had called while I was in Canada and wanted to offer me a job. They had felt that they couldn’t speak for me, but if he could wait I could let him know when I returned.
I drove to the store and I thought I would be just talking to him. When I got there, Jack put me to work immediately. I met the owner of Country Farm Save More, Bob. He was eating a peach he had just gotten from the produce section. He asked me to go buy some blue denim overalls and the store would reimburse me. He told me that I would primarily be a stocker, but I would help out with anything that needed to be done. In a few days, he’d have them show me how to run the cash register. Soon I was putting stock out on the shelves. I opened a cardboard box with a razor knife they gave me. I stamped a price on the top of the can with an ink stamper that printed right on the can. Sometimes I used a gun that printed a little price tag, but the direct ink method was faster and cheaper. When I had boxes piled up, I made a trip to the incinerator. This was in the back room and was a large metal box with a strong door. If there wasn’t a fire in the incinerator these already, I started one myself . The boxes burned immediately and the smoke went up the smoke stack. When a shipment of new stock came, we helped unload the truck. They hadn’t figured out how to put individual boxes on pallets, yet, so we unloaded every box separately. Most of the other guys my age were from my ward. There was Jack’s youngest son Darrell and also Laron Rasband. Jack’s daughter was a checker there. His older children had all worked there over the years a long with a lot of others from our ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment