
Over a year before we had gotten the first home computer, the Radio Shack, TRS-80. Dad had taught me a few things about programming it in BASIC. Now I felt that it was time to learn that computer language more fully. So each day I spent a portion of my time learning to use a few features of BASIC and writing programs that would do a certain thing. That summer we got a new feature put on the computer. It was a disk drive. Before that all applications and programs were stored on cassette tapes. Word processing, for example was called “Scripsit” and took five minutes to load. Hopefully there wasn’t a blemish in the tape or else the whole process would fail. The disk drive really would speed up everything. The five-and-one-quarter-inch floppy disk held 180K of information and was quite an innovation to have on a home computer.
(By the way, in 2011, I still have that original TRS-80 in my storage room!)
No comments:
Post a Comment