Sunday, June 5, 2011

Get A Real Job (Part 7 of 7)


In November of 1979 I looked at my high school singing schedule for Madrigals and Concert Choir. I realized I would not be able to work a single day until the very end of December. I talked to Bob and he said, “So you want to quit?”
“No, that’s not it exactly,” I said. “I just need to take some time off for all my music activities.”
After that Jack worked with me as I found people to cover all my shifts that I’d miss. I was known as vacation Bill.

When I came back to work, I found that the store had been sold. The new owners were two guys who had worked for Macey's grocery store for a long time. They made some changes and spruced up the store. They got new check stands and new shopping carts. And new cash registers were in the works. They changed the name to Fort Union IGA. We stopped wearing our blue denim over-overalls. They agreed to keep the original staff who wanted to stay. I elected to stay and I worked until the end of September 1980, a month before my mission. My Mom told me just before I got on the plane to Brazil, that Fort Union IGA had just gone out of business. When I came home from Brazil, two years later, I saw the building. It had been converted to a Utah State Liquor Store. But to me I will always remember with fondness putting my bottle of Sprite in the milk cooler so it would be cold for when I got home that night.

Coming Tomorrow: My Sister Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment