Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Accomplishing Goals (Part 5 of 9)


Preparing to go on a mission was something I had done over my whole life. But I had long-wished for some unstructured time when I could study the scriptures. The summer of 1980 afforded me that time. I started a program I called Rip-A-Part. This consisted of reading a chapter of say, the New Testament, and then going back over it and underlining important verses. I’d then read it again but this time going through the cross references. The only problem was that, to me, every verse was important, so I underlined most everything. Then I also did role plays with myself and would pretend to explain to a minister of another Church a particular LDS doctrine by using the Bible. I also used various study aides that were written by LDS authors. All in all I did about five hours of scripture study a day. It was the most intense time of scripture study in my life and I loved it.
My mission preparations also included becoming an elder in the Melchizadek Priesthood. Dad ordained me and my Grandpa Loveless also stood in the circle. This happened on June 29. 1980.
For some reason I had wanted to learn how to crochet. My sister Karen taught me how to crochet, and then I worked on it each day. I made a round doily-type rug that was about two feet in diameter. When that was done, I marked off that goal on the chart and then didn’t work on it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment