
That night we gathered again in the auditorium, this time for real. I was in the Orchestra pit playing a prelude number with an orchestra ensemble. We played some ragtime music. I then joined my classmates in the auditorium proper. We sang the school song and then it was time to march in. We got up from our seats and walked out. We assembled behind the stage, with many of us lining up outside the outside doors. Our class had a habit of playing tricks on people. We were each given a marble and told to give it to the school district official as we shock his hand. right before we received our diploma. As the marching in progressed, we heard the laughter from the audience as the poor district officials were running out of room for all the marbles they were receiving. First they filled up their pants pockets and then their shirt pockets and then the pockets in their suit coats.
A few teachers finally saw what was going on and came back stage to collect the marbles from us. They said, “Whoever gives a marble will not receive a diploma!” I had to give up the marble that I had been given, but I have thought since that it was an idle threat because how would they know who gave it or not. (At our twenty year high school reunion in the year 2000 we were each given some marbles to commemorate that event.)After we all marched in, we listened to the valedictorian and others speak to us. We also heard from our principle, Mr. O. Grant Rowley. I went up to the stage to sing with the concert choir as our song wished everyone farewell and good luck. And then it was all over. I felt an emptiness inside. It was all over! School was done. It was a happy feeling, too. Mom and Dad soon joined me and we went to Snellgroves to get ice cream to celebrate.
No comments:
Post a Comment