Saturday, June 25, 2011

Accomplishing Goals (Part 2 of 9)


On the last day of school, the graduating senior class met in the school auditorium for a rehearsal of the graduation ceremonies for that night. I had participated in the graduation the year before by singing in the Concert Choir. I cried when it was over because most of my friends were in that graduating class and I wished I could go with them. My senior year, as stunning and impressive as it was, seemed anti-climactic to the steller junior year. At my graduation from high school, I was just glad to have it over. And rightly so; it was time to move on.
Still it was a special occasion. And we practiced it very seriously. That is until we practiced marching in the auditorium to get our diplomas. We had to write our full name on a card as we marched back-stage. Some kids wrote big long names that weren’t their real names. Everyone thought it was very funny. However, it caused those who were announcing the names to be leery when they announced them for real that night. As a result they announced me as William Duncan Loveless and leaving off the “the fifth” from the end, even though I had marked on the card that this was my real full name.

No comments:

Post a Comment