Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Sister Karen (Part 3 of 9)


On another summer day I came home from work very late at night, like ten o`clock. Karen had just finished a triple batch of chocolate chip cookies. “These look great!” I said excitedly, “Are they for anyone?” I asked.
“Just the family,” Karen said.
“I could eat them all, I’m so hungry.”
“Go ahead. That’s why I made them, for people to eat them.”
Karen sat there and watched with pride as I ate several. I can still taste them, all these years later. Those chocolate chip cookies were sure good. I had to pull myself away from them after I ate one-and-a-half batches worth, along with a half gallon of milk, or else there might not have been any for the family. Karen had a quiet satisfaction that her baking was appreciated by someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment