
Well, school soon started and we had Hello Days. We had a Hello Days dance and a Hello Days assembly and everything was Hello Days. I’m sure we even had Hello Days food at lunch time. But after a few days we had settled into the hum drum schedule of school. One of my classes was Pep Band. At first I thought, “I’m in high school now. What glorious things will they have us do in band?” I remembered those terrible days when in seventh grade we had been relegated to the back room to practice drum rudiments. What did we have to do as big high school students? We were relegated to the back room to practice drum rudiments! However there was a difference. In seventh grade it was the drummers from one junior high school goofing off. Now, in high school it was the drummers from TWO junior highs goofing off. There were some days though when we were actually allowed to come out and play with the band. And we were even asked to play with all band students at the football games. I looked forward to this chance to play with the band at the football game. Not so much to play in the band, but to watch my first football game. We even got front row seats on the fifty yard line. However, when I got there just before the game began, I noticed that all the football players were standing up along the side lines and I couldn’t see a thing that was happening on the field. Occasionally I’d see a football fly through the air and the crowd would cheer. But that was it. Obviously all these things did not sit well with me. I had long been dissatisfied with playing the drums. At the semester change in January I made my exit and transferred out of band for good.
No comments:
Post a Comment