Friday, February 18, 2011

Rites Of Passage (Part 5 of 7)


I nervously got ready. Mom asked me if I had any money. I didn’t. She gave me two dollars. “This is to wear,” she said as she handed it to me. “Just in case you go for ice cream afterward” Thinking about it in hindsight, she was probably just as nervous as I was. I had agreed with Ray Woofard, the captain of our Cross County team, to give me a ride. He and his date picked me up and then we drove to LaReen Lobrot’s house. I greeted her parents and we walked to the car. I opened the door of the car and she got in. Then we were off. We arrived at the County Club where the party was to be held. We got seated at the long table where everyone would sit. LaReen and I engaged in small talk. We had known each other for years and our Dads had known each other since they were in high school. Our conversations ranged from the pimples on my back to her brother’s eating habits. Then it was time to eat. And we ate! Just the week before the whole Cross Country team had been on a carbohydrate loading diet and it was nice to not have to worry any more about what kinds of foods we could and could not eat.
After dinner we had a speaker. It was Creed Heymond, who was a very old man at this time. He had been a world class sprinter in his day and was a retired dentist. He admonished us to always eat right. He prided himself that he had always been the same weight throughout his life as when he was running competitively in college. After the party, we went to a dance the school was having, but it was over just as soon as we got there, so we drove to LaReen’s house. I walked her to her front door and said good night and then she went inside and I raced back to the car. My first date was over and it had been a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment