Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rites Of Passage (Part 7 of 7)


But the rotation that everybody wanted, at least outwardly, was to actually drive on the road. I say outwardly because I think inwardly we were all scared to do it. (The horror films were working!) I know I certainly was scared. Each day I silently prayed that I wouldn’t have to go out on the road – that I’d get the safe comfort of the simulator, or some other activity besides driving. But I also knew that driving was important and there was no better time than right now to do it. By the end of the semester I had earned my learner’s permit. This was a very important milestone in getting the actual driver license. After that my Dad and I went out every Saturday with me driving the van. For some reason we felt (erroneously) we had to drive a vehicle with power steering and power brakes. Since our 1965 Dodge Dart had neither, I never drove that. I was very shaky at first but that was the whole reason to have a learner’s permit. By the time three months had passed since getting my license, I would have been driving and not even thought about it. It would have become second nature to me. But for now I had to concentrate on every move I made and everything I did. Finally, on February 21, 1978, Mom took me to the driver license place in Taylorsville. I took my written test and then took the driving test. I could miss 20 points and I missed 18. Mom wasn’t sure she wanted to let me drive home, but she decided to let me anyway. After all, I had a real driver license!

Coming Tomorrow: My Sister Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment