But the same thing that created the greatest unity between Dad and I, also caused the worst thing that I ever did as a teenager, as some have people suggested. In high school, when I was in the Concert Choir, we had a performance on a Sunday to sing at a Sacrament Meeting where we had been invited to present several numbers. These performances were not uncommon. We sang mostly in LDS Churches, although we did sing in other Churches occasionally. On this one Sunday, the performance was a few minutes after the end of our weekly ward choir practice on Sunday afternoon. Since I would have to leave in the middle of choir practice anyway, and since I had to pick up a few people on the way there, I figured I needed to allow myself some extra time. To do this, I would have to miss most of choir practice. I told Dad my plans, since it was his car I was driving to do all this. I was not prepared for his reaction. “Absolutely not!”
“But Dad why not?”
“We need you singing in the ward choir.”
“I’m there all the Sundays. What it going to matter if I miss one time?”
“We just need you there.”
“But I have a commitment to be there for Concert Choir.”
“You can go to choir practice and then right afterward go to your performance.”
“But I’ll be late to the warm up.”
“You’ll be warming up your voice in choir practice.”
“Dad it’s not like I’m stopping going to Church or something. This will be my second Sacrament meeting today.”
“Billy, you can’t miss choir practice. And that’s final.”
I ended up disobeying my father and going to the Concert Choir warm up anyway. Mom told me Dad was just being stubborn.
But disobedience to parents is still not acceptable. It’s still breaking the commandment of God. You're to honor your father and mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment