
Mr. Roberts was in his final years before retirement. It was half way through my ninth grade year that he did retire. I don't think any of us realized what a gem of a man we had as our principal. He had a dignity about him that is impossible to find in a younger man nowadays. He had simple convictions like honesty, and never sit when you can stand, as well as never drive if you can walk. If he needed to visit with an errant student and the parents in his office, he did that behind closed doors. Jill and I, though we knew everything that happened in the office, were never instructed about not blabbing it all over. Somehow we just knew from Mr. Roberts' noble handling of the situation that we were not to discuss it at all.
Jill's first assignment on the first day of school was to file every student's school schedule into a cardboard file box. These were then placed on a table conveniently located next to the huge electronic console of the P.A. System in case a particular student needed to be located quickly and called to the office. I soon found out that this file was also very useful for looking up girls' schedules and finding out where I could just happen to run into them. I could also see where the girl lived and there was a large map showing every street that the school served. This was very helpful in finding out where I would have to go to walk a girl home. Unfortunately that never happened while I was in junior high.
No comments:
Post a Comment