
Soon my Dad came along and they got married. I was the first child, followed by seven more
children. Three boys and five girls in all. The eighth child was born when I was sixteen. The
whole time I was growing up Mom was a model of consistency. Any time I had any special
event for school my Mom made sure she could be there. If it was a track meet, I could look up
in the stands and see my Mother there. She may have had a few little children with her, but she
was there. If it was a concert, she was there. If the concert was at night, the whole family was
there. That was a big deal to a teenage boy who was often unsure of himself, to know that his
parents cared enough about him and his activities to be there for him. I don't know if I
appreciated it enough at the time, that my mother, or father, or siblings were at a school event, but looking back on it I am very grateful that they were there.
No comments:
Post a Comment