Friday, November 12, 2010

Awkwardness and Redemption In Junior High (Part 5 of 10)


Another job that Jill and I had was to answer the phone. We took turns grabbing the phone on Mrs. Fowler's desk. When we answered it, we were instructed to say, "Bonneville Junior, student speaking." Almost without exception, the person calling would say, "Is there someone I could talk to." I didn't think anything of this, I just transferred the call or took a message. I was talking to my Mom one day about my duties in the office and she suggested that I reply, "Yes, I'm somebody!" But I never did.

In sixth grade I had to have my eyes checked. I was borderline for getting glasses. I thought I’d look real cool if I wore glasses. I picked out some wire rimed glasses that I thought were really cool. I didn’t know it then, and I didn’t realize it at the time, but they made me look more like a geek. That’s how I entered junior high. My last year of looking like a child and I had to hide it behind some geeky glasses. By the next year, I was in the very awkward adolescence age of pimples and having to use deodorant every day, (but not knowing that I need to use it every day!) My body was changing, and even though I had reached my full adult stature of 6 feet, two inches, my face was still growing out all sorts of weird ways. If that wasn’t enough, school was very hard for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment