Thursday, November 11, 2010

Awkwardness and Redemption In Junior High (Part 4 of 10)



Near the duplicator machines room was the faculty lounge. I was never brave enough to go in there. However there was a coffee maker in there and I was tempted to put Postum in instead of coffee and see if anyone noticed. But I decided against it. I would have really gotten in trouble when it came to people's coffee. One of the ladies in the office did that job. They did not entrust that job to a student!
The office ladies, Mrs. Cowdell and Mrs. Fowler were very nice to us. They really appreciated our help. They knew if we didn't do our jobs, they would have to do them, in addition to their own work.
An important job that I had was to work in the supply room. This was located right off the office. It was a room with lots of shelves. There were pencils, pens, memo pads, rulers, compasses, and paper. Lots of paper! There was lined paper, graph paper, newsprint, and white paper for the duplicator machines. Perhaps the biggest quantity was the duplicator paper. Also there were cans and cans of duplicator fluid. Everything was stored there that a junior high school would need to conduct business. And during the first period, I was in charge of it! I felt as if everything would come to a grinding halt if I weren't there to make sure it was taken care of. If a teacher needed supplies I grabbed them from the supply room and quickly took them to the teacher’s class room. Several years later when I was in my thirties, I was in charge of office supplies for my company. I remarked to a co-worker one day, "I was doing this same job when I was in eighth grade."

No comments:

Post a Comment