
I was sitting innocently in my eighth grade health class when it happened. The choral music teacher, Mr. Hailstone (whose chorus room was just across the hall) came onto our classroom. He made his announcement with prearranged permission from the health teacher.
"I need about three students to act as teacher's aides in my third period class next year."
Well that started it. I needed another class for my ninth grade year and being a teacher's aide sounded nice and easy. I went to see Mr. Hailstone after school. He was alone in his chorus room. It was a big room with a large area down front. There was a grand piano in the center. The piano was covered with a light brown canvas cover at the time to protect it from day to day dust. In the large room there were successive platforms that gradually rose up to about eight feet higher than the floor in front. Each platform stretched clear across the room and was five feet wide. There were chairs and music stands on the platforms enough for about one hundred students.
No comments:
Post a Comment