Monday, November 22, 2010

I Need You In Mixed Chorus (Part 2 of 3)


Mr. Hailstone approached me. "What can I do for you, sir?"
He and I had never spoken to each other before.
"I'd like to sign up to be a teacher's aide."
"Well, that's nice, but I really need you to sing in the mixed chorus next year. Come over to the piano."
Before I knew it, Mr. Hailstone pulled up the canvas cover and opened the piano. He had me singing the notes he played on the piano. He played low ones, medium ones, and high notes.
"Very good! Now sing this."
Mr. Hailstone played some descending scales. He kept getting lower and lower. I matched every note.
He stopped, closed the lid of the piano and replaced the heavy canvas dust cover. "I think you will make a fine bass," he said. "Can you arrange your schedule to be in the mixed chorus next year?"
"Yes," I said. "But I always thought I couldn't be in it without taking eighth grade Boy's Chorus first."
"I'll be more than glad to take any person that can sing well, and you sing very good!"
Mr. Hailstone got a folded up slip of paper out of his pocket. “What is your name?” he asked.
“Billy Loveless.”
He scanned the list. “Ah, here is your name – Bill Loveless – Someone recommended you to sing in mixed chorus.”
“Who?”
But Mr. Hailstone did not answer. He just made me promise that I would sign up for mixed chorus.

No comments:

Post a Comment