Monday, March 7, 2011

A Cold Night On Coon Peak (Part 5 of 11)


Dad turned off the engine and we both got out of the Jeep. We walked to the gate. There must have been five different locks on the chain that kept the gate shut. I knew from my dad explaining it to me many times when I was little, that many other people and organizations used these roads up to the mountains. Each had their own locks. Dad located the right lock for KSL's key and then we swung the gate open. We boarded the Jeep again, dad started it and drove ahead. I jumped out and locked the gate.
We had to repeat this process a few times. Each time, Dad sort of rolled his eyes at the fact that someone had lost the other set of keys and he had to shut the engine off each time we opened a gate. We finally got up a ways so that there were just barbed wire loops holding the gates shut. I hoped out each time and got the gate so dad could just drive through. What team work!
After the last gate, the road was getting fairly steep. Dad decided to lock the hubs and engage the 4-wheel drive. He let me do this since I was already out side. I was honored. He had always been the one to do this before. Now I got to do it. Maybe it was some rite of manhood I didn't know about. We began to climb Coon Peak. It was a clear night. The lights of Salt Lake City blazed below us.
We slowly crept up the mountain. It was nice to see the road. I was glad my dad had fixed the headlight beams so this was possible. It was scary enough to drive up in the day time, let alone the night. At one o'clock in the morning, we arrived at the top of Coon Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment