
In the off season and while the weather was icy and snowy, we met occasionally inside the building at Cottonwood high school. We ran the halls after school, did calisthenics, and running drills. We wanted to get ready for the track season. Those cement floors were very hard for my legs. But I endured. I had actually developed what are known as shin splints, which are tiny fractures in the bone of the shins. There are very painful and take a long time to get better. I much preferred the outside for running. Even the asphalt roads had more give to them that the unforgiving cement of the school halls. The air was so much fresher and the view was much better. However there was an idea back in the 1970s that running in cold weather would burn your lungs. I dispelled that by doing lots of running in all sorts of weather. Once I even ran home from school with shorts and a t-shirt on and the rest of my clothes in my gym bag. Nothing strange about that, but It was January and there were two feet of new fallen snow on the ground that I ran through. Once I asked my gym coach if I could go run outside in January instead of staying inside that day to play basketball. He practically had me sign a waver that I would not hold him nor the school responsible if I caught pneumonia, or worse, burned my lungs!
No comments:
Post a Comment