Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Sister Julie (Part 5 of 8)


For many years a lady kept calling our phone number. She meant to call another similar number but kept getting us instead. Our conversations went like this:
Ring, ring.
“Hello.”
“That you Elsie?”
“You must have the wrong number.”
And then the lady would get upset that she had dialed wrong and hang up. It became a joke for us to call home and try to fool the person who answered the phone into thinking that we were that lady. We’d use that same tone and voice inflection the lady had. Since Julie liked to answer the phone a lot at our house, she got these crank calls the most. I was amazed at how cordial she always was, even though half the time it was one of us goofing off.
Ring, ring.
“Hello.”
“That you Elsie?”
“I’m sorry,” Julie would say, “ you have called the wrong number.”
“Julie, it’s just me.”
“Billy, you teaser!”
“I just wanted to call home and see how things were going.”

No comments:

Post a Comment