Thursday, March 31, 2011

Four Events Is Not Enough (Part 5 of 10)


And then track season started. Coach Tripp treated me like I was hot property. Like I was his new secret weapon. My problem was that my shins hurt so much that I could hardly work out. All the indoor workouts had not helped me much. There was one exercise called bounding that was very painful to me and would the residual effects of it remain to aggravate my legs for a while. Coach Tripp had the latest running news at his finger tips. He had me shave the tops of my feet and he taped one or two strips on the top of each foot in a curvy pattern. Then I put on my track shoe or running shoe. It helped a little. But I was mostly being obedient to what the coach wanted. Each time he tapped me up he told me it was like tapping up a thoroughbred horse. My first track meet was the BYU indoor track meet. People from all over the state attended this. I ran the 440 and took 15th in the state. I considered this very good. But first or second place would have been a lot better. Dad was with me that day. He reminisced about putting an antenna on the roof of the BYU Smith Field House many years before when BYU basketball games were broadcast by KSL there. He also took some very good pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment