In track I always ran the maximum number of events in a track meet that an individual could run, which was only four. I would have gladly done more. I loved them all. I concentrated on the 880 and that was my serious race, but the other events were just for fun. I did every running and field event from the 100 yard dash to the two-mile. I did the hurdles, in fact, Coach had never seen a person with more natural hurdling form than me. I did high jump, long jump, pole vault, discus, shot put and javelin. I even competed in the decathalon at one time. Once in time trials I ran against the person who would be our team’s fastest 440 runner that year. It was just for fun, but I jumped into the 440 time trials at the last minute. I beat everyone. I blew them away. Jim said to me after the race, “For every two steps I was taking, you took one step with your wide stride.” The high point of my high school career was taking second place and being presented with a trophy at the 800 meter race at the Utah State University high school invitational. I ended my high school running career by going to the state 4A track championship at BYU in the 880 in May of 1980. Despite numerous painful injuries, (sprained ankles, dislocated knees, pulled muscles) I thoroughly enjoyed myself and my track and cross country experience has always been a great source of satisfaction to me.
Coming Tomorrow: My Sister Lisa
No comments:
Post a Comment