Monday, April 18, 2011

A Great Sense Of Belonging (Part 7 of 8)


Seminary Bowl was another thing I was in charge of. We competed doing scripture chase and answering gospel questions. I had made a poster encouraging people to tryout for the seminary bowl team. It showed a young man in a basketball uniform shooting a Bible through a basketball hoop. Only myself and one other guy decided to participate in the before school and after school seminary bowl. The rest were lots of girls. We practiced quite a bit and then we competed against other schools, after school. There were four players at each time going against four more players from another school. There were also time periods and it was my responsibility to say who was going to play in each time period, making sure that everyone had a chance to play. I must confess here, that I made sure that I always played at the same time as girls I really liked. Seminary Bowl was a tremendous experience for me. The district competition was held at the Cottonwood Seminary building. We came close to winning the championship, but the real highlight of the day was in the opening exercises a the very beginning when someone sang a solo of the primary song, Teach Me To Walk In The Light. That solo was sung by none other than JoDee Healy!
I only did seminary bowl one other year and that was my Junior Year. The individual school competitions were held on the same day as track meets. I would run up a storm on the track, participating in my maximum of four events and then shower and be to the seminary building in time to help my team to victory in seminary bowl. It gave me a great sense of belonging and feeling needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment