Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Sister Lisa (Part 2 of 6)


I’ve always been impressed by Lisa. When I was barely starting out in high school, I noticed one day that Lisa would go in her room with the large type edition of the Bible. She was reading it on her own! Reading the scriptures was nothing new at our house, but for a child of Lisa’s age to be reading it for no reason, like preparing a lesson or fulfilling an assignment from some class, was unheard of. Sure we read the scriptures as a family each morning, but studying them by yourself? And here was little Lisa reading the Bible by herself. Like I say, I was impressed.
We also had a filmstrip projector at our house. Dad was a stake missionary for the Church and he was constantly showing filmstrips to people to help them understand the teachings of the full-time missionaries. It seemed every night he was gone to show a film strip and to teach someone. So my parents bought a filmstrip projector and a few sets of filmstrips that were originally intended for use to teach Indian children. Our family enjoyed them very much. One day I noticed that Lisa would take the projector and a whole bunch of filmstrips into her room. In a moment I would hear the cassette tape recorder playing the sound track of the little program. Again I was impressed with Lisa. It seemed she had a spirituality that was set a notch higher than the rest of us. She wanted to not only hear the Gospel at Church and to also be taught it in our home, but she wanted to live it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment