Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fat Man’s Misery (Part 4 of 8)


We slogged through the water forever, it seemed. However, Kyle Hunter remained positive. Every time I looked at him he was happy. He was always saying something in Spanish. He wore a big leather hat he had bargained for a few weeks before when his family went to Mexico. He was always smiling.
And then the moment we had been hiking for. Land! I had been excited to see the river and the water. Now here was land. I decided then that I was definitely more comfortable on land. Again we hiked and hiked. But we were nearing the end of our ordeal. I said to Earl, “Next year bring the kids who earned the least number of merit badges. This is not a reward this is a punishment.”
Earl replied, “Oh come now. You’ll remember this for a long time.”
“I know. Isn’t it the bad things you remember best?”
“Come on Billy, this isn’t so bad. I’m sure you’ll have fond memories of this hike.”
“Memories? Earl, I’m already trying to forget this whole thing.”
We hiked a long for a while and then we got to the place where we were to meet the truck. Guess what? No truck!
Salt and Pepper consulted with Earl in hushed tones, “Floyd did have some heart trouble. What if he had a heart attack while driving the truck to meet up with us?”
Earl was a bit more optimistic, “Or maybe the truck just broke down.” That was probably more like what really happened, but it was less dramatic. What ever the reason, we were very tired, very hungry, and very put out! And we had no equipment, no food, and NO TRUCK! Yessssireeee! This isssss the life!

No comments:

Post a Comment