
A month later at the monthly court of honor, December 17, 1974, I got to sit on the stage with my parents. Todd Copling and Joel Workman and their parents were also on the stage. It was the concluding moments of the court of honor. I had been to court of honor each month since I was an eight-year-old cub scout. This was the culmination of that. All my hopes and dreams were encompassed in this moment. Each young man stood and walked to the center of the stage as his name was announced on the recording. When I heard, "William Duncan Loveless the Fifth," I just about couldn't believe it. I know my parents were over-flowing with pride. Other than my baptism and confirmation, this was the most important event in my young life so far. A brief narrative that my mother had written was read by Dick Alsop. Then I sat down. After the recorded presentation, our scout master came up and presented the actual award. The whole audience of over two hundred people watched patiently. Earl took off my regular boy scout neckerchief and placed a special Eagle Scout neckerchief on me. Then he gave the actual Eagle award to my mother and she pinned it on my uniform. I also got a tie clip and a certificate signed by the President of the United States, Richard Nixon. I then participated in the Eagle's nest. This was where all the past Eagle Scouts in the audience were asked to stand. Then they saluted me. Thereafter, I would participate in future Eagle's nests and salute the new Eagles.
No comments:
Post a Comment