Tuesday, October 12, 2010

“I Want Some Of That Pot Roast!” (Part 5 of 6)


We went on a ten mile hike every day and got the hiking merit badge as well as the fifty miler award. Most of the camp was spent sitting around the fire trying to dry out our clothes and to stay warm. We chopped wood and sang songs around the fire. Since I only had shorts on, I got a bad “sunburn” from the heat of the fire. I was also taking weather readings for the environmental science merit badge.
A highlight of the trip was one day we went down to the town of Manti and attended the Manti Pageant that night. When we got there, the clouds were black above us and thunder was rumbling over head. The man who said the opening prayer asked for the elements to be staid in our behalf. Everything held through the pageant. As soon as it was over, however, the heavens let loose with what seemed to be a vengeance and a great rain shower accompanied us back up to our camp.
Despite the rain, it seemed like Saturday morning came all too soon and it was time to pack up and go back home. I had a little baby food jar that was empty and I filled it with water from the lake to take home as a memento.

No comments:

Post a Comment