
For dinner that night we had baked ham. Jack Robinson had a rotation system set up where a few boys were assigned to cook each meal and a few were assigned to clean up. He was there to supervise in general, but the boys did the work, and gained the experience. The ham was sure good. I ate and ate and had three pieces.
That night I had nightmares about taking off camper shells all night long in the driving rain. My stomach was upset. I woke up for a brief moment and threw up. It was all over my tent and sleeping bag. I didn’t know what to do so I just crawled down deeper in my sleeping bag and went back to sleep. I was the only one in my tent, but somehow word got out that I had thrown up. The next morning omelets were for breakfast. I wasn’t hungry. We went on a hike to a nearby peak and erected a flag, which was really Brent Baker’s T-shirt. We hiked back to camp and it was time for lunch. We made ourselves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I was starved! After eating several sandwiches, I made one with a hot dog bun. Instead of jelly I put sweet pickles on it. Mike Postma, one of the younger boys, noticed my sandwich and exclaimed loudly so all the boys could hear, “A peanut butter and pickle sandwich? No wonder Billy throws up in his tent!”
No comments:
Post a Comment