
Afterward I thanked the relatives that had come. I thought of my uncle Leonard who had been an Eagle Scout, yet had been killed. I thought of my uncle Randy who was also an Eagle Scout. Gary Robinson, my past scout leader, who was on his mission in France and I thought of him, too. So many people had helped me get here. It didn't seem fair to get the honor just for myself.
We had a reception at our house. Many people came and ate cookies. The bishop's wife even gave me a kiss on the cheek and everyone laughed when I blushed.
A while later, I was told to go over to Jack Robinson's house. A photographer from the Green Sheet newspaper was coming to take a picture of me and the two other boys who received their eagle award. I was proud to have a picture appear in the paper of me and Todd Copling and Joel Workman. We were shown in full uniforms and we were all smiling. We were also from the same troop.
I continued in the scouting program until I was 14. I got my last merit badge shortly after I turned 14. After that I was registered as a Venture Scout and then at age 16 as an Explorer Scout, but other than attending weekly meetings of the Teachers and Priests quorums, and participating in over-night and weekly super activities, I really didn't do much scouting. By age 16 I was totally engrossed in being interested in girls and other teenager activities. I think at age 16, if I had been asked if I was an Eagle Scout I would have said, "What's that? Oh yeh, I was an Eagle Scout once."
Today my scout uniform hangs in my closet with the Eagle still pinned to it. All my merit badges are displayed on the sash. I remember with fondness conducting the flag ceremony at stake court of honor and all of the other scouting activities I was involved in. And on my professional resume, I have: "Eagle Scout, 58 merit badges, 1974."
Coming Tomorrow: Mom's Consistency
No comments:
Post a Comment