Junior High School Days (Part 1 of 5)
Though I didn't necessarily like school in elementary school, there was a good reason for me to stay there for as long as I could. I was terrified of what might lay ahead in Junior High! As Sixth grade drew to a close, Junior High loomed ominously over my horizon. Being the oldest child in my family, I was the trailblazer as far as the scary experience of junior high was concerned. The reality didn't hit me until about February of 1974 when a representative of Bonneville Junior High School came to my sixth grade class to get us students signed up for Seventh grade.
I felt that if it was inevitable that I go to Seventh grade and junior high, then I might as well do it with gusto. I filled out my registration card with the darkest pencil I could find. When it was completed I found it was all filled out wrong. So I erased it completely and wrote everything in the correct way. Then I turned the card in, thus eliminating from my life any reminder that I was eventually going to have to go to junior high.
But it wasn't going to go away that easily. For one thing, since my handwriting was virtually unreadable, my sixth grade teacher recommended to my mother that I take a type class over the summer. My band teacher also recommend that I take band in the s summer. So that's what happened. A few days after I left behind Sixth grade and elementary school forever, I found myself in the halls of Bonneville Junior High School as a student taking a three hour summer type class with a room of sixty other students. This class accomplished two things: 1) made me a more proficient hunt and peck typist, and 2) made me absolutely hate that type class. Why anyone would willingly submit to a three hour type class is beyond me. And in the summer, no less. But I went every day and tried to do what I was supposed to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment