Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Eagle Scout (Part 10 of 12)


When I did finally qualify for a rank advancement, I went to a board of review. This was usually held on a Sunday night and I wore my full uniform. I didn't know the people on the board that well. I recognized them, but that was all. I waited my turn in the hall of the Church. Then I was ushered into the room where the board of review was to take place. I stood before them and they asked me questions about the things I had learned in the scouting program so far. I was asked to recite the scout oath and the scout law, to give the scout salute and the scout sign. Then when I had satisfied their questions, I was informed that I had passed. Whew! What a relief!
One very important requirement of the scout program was to give service to others. Pulling weeds at the Church, cleaning the windows of the Church, mowing the laws of elderly people, or working with mentally handicapped adults were a few of the official service projects that we had. Sometimes we boys resisted them at first, but as we tried them, we would come away with a very warm feeling in our hearts.
The time finally came for my Eagle board of review. I went to the Church in November 1974. This followed pretty much the same format as my other boards of review. I was asked one question that I have always remembered: "Are there any merit badges that you received but did not earn?"
I thought for a moment. Surely there were merit badges for which I hadn't met all of the requirements. Yet the counselor felt that my efforts were sufficient. I expressed these concerns. One of the members of the board spoke up: "Yes, we agree there might be times when that has happened, but we are concerned if there was a time when you fraudulently got a merit badge." I answered that with a quick “no.”

No comments:

Post a Comment