Saturday, October 16, 2010

Junior High School Days (Part 2 of 5)


With August came time to register for class. I went with my good friend, Roger Lobrot. I had known him for several years and our dads had even been friends when they were in high school. We went together because we were going to be locker partners. We would share the same locker through seventh grade. We were partners for eighth and ninth grades as well, and we even had our lockers together in high school.
Roger and I waited in a long line that began at the school office and ran clear down the hall and out the door. We waited in that line for the longest time it seemed before we even got inside the building. The kids who had older brothers and sisters who had attended Bonneville Junior High before, were all very excited to finally be going to that school themselves. The kids who were the oldest in their families, like me, looked petrified. After we got up to the office we got our schedule of classes which we had signed up for back in February and we found out where our locker was going to be. Then Roger and I walked the two mile distance home. The start of school was two weeks away.
I waited at the bus stop with my friends who had, for the most part, already attended junior high in the years previous. It was ironic that our bus stop was across the street from Twin Peaks Elementary School. I suddenly had a grown up feeling. I didn't have to go there anymore! I was now in junior HIGH! It wouldn't be long before I was going to be in HIGH SCHOOL. And then COLLEGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment