Monday, October 4, 2010

Fat Man’s Misery (Part 5 of 8)


Earl and Salt and Pepper decided the best thing would be to hike to the road where the truck would have been coming. I don’t know why we didn’t just follow the road. But Salt and Pepper said we should hike over the mountains to a place where he suspected the truck might have broken down. Since Salt and Pepper knew this country very well, none of us questioned him. We followed him obediently, even though we were exhausted and extremely hungry. By this time it was dark. That meant it was about ten o’clock at night. In our ordeal, none of us had mingled very much with the scouts from Salt and Pepper’s troop. Every one of them was raised on a farm. During a rest stop, I couldn’t believe it when one boy took a can out of his back pack. He opened it. There were cookies inside! He took some out and in a nasally voice said, “These are broken.” He then threw them on the ground. I was next to him, and I lunged for the broken cookies. I quickly brushed the sand off and gobbled them up. Maybe boys raised on a farm don't get as hungry in starvation conditions like us city folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment